What is the Jive Apps Market?
The Jive Apps Market is the app delivery and commerce engine for Jive Apps. This market will connect sellers (Jive Apps Partners) and buyers (Jive users and administrators) in a dynamic, liquid market.
How do users reach the Jive Apps Market?
The Jive Apps Market is accessed through a user's Jive 5 platform. In Jive 5, 'Apps' is one of the major navigational categories, and from there users can easily launch and use the Jive Apps Market, all from within the comfort of their Jive 5 platform.
How is the Jive Apps Market delivered to customers?
The Jive Apps Market is hosted in Jive's cloud. Customers and end users access one single central Jive Apps Market from within their Jive Community. Each Jive Community, however, may have a different view of the Market based on which Jive Apps the Customer Admin determines are suitable for their community.
How big is the Jive Apps Market opportunity?
Jive is the leader in social business helping customers such as Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, CSC, Intel, National Instruments, Nike, SAP and Yum Brands break down the barriers separating employees, customers, and partners. And as a result, drive breakthroughs in revenue, cost, and innovation. As a seamless experience just a click away to users on the Jive 5 platform, the Jive Apps Market represents the fastest path to enterprise adoption for engaging business applications.
When does the Jive Apps Market launch?
The Jive Apps Market launched concurrently with the Jive 5 Engage platform in Q2 2011.
Which applications are launching in the Jive Apps Market?
Check out these featured Jive Apps partner videos where the CEOs talk about why they are excited to participate in the Jive Apps Market
Buying An App
Who buys Jive Apps?
Both customer administrators as well as individual employees can buy Jive Apps.
What form does a Jive App purchase take?
Every Jive App is a service to which a user subscribes, much like your cable subscription or a magazine subscription. There are no perpetual app licenses at this time. Over time Jive plans to launch more purchase methods and models to better fit existing app purchases processes for Jive Apps Partners and customers.
Who bills the customer?
Jive is the merchant of record and as such will bill customers, collect funds, and distribute payments to Apps Partners (see Getting Paid, below). Each customer will continue to have a relationship with Jive exclusively.
What payment plans are supported?
We currently support two payment plans:
- Monthly per user: For an individual user app purchases will be monthly subscriptions. For example, if Emily Smith at Company XYZ decides that the "Make Work Great" Jive App is a good fit for her she will purchase a monthly subscription, and will be charged each month.
- Annually per community: Customer administrators will have the additional option to purchase annual enterprise-wide app subscriptions. For example, if Curt Brown decides that he wants to make the "Make Work Great" Jive App available to every employee at Company XYZ he will purchase an annual subscription, and will be charged once for the whole year upfront.
What does the average Jive App cost?
The Jive Apps Market is a true market so sellers are free to set whatever price they think is appropriate. Some Apps Partners may decide to offer their Jive App for free. We expect the typical Jive App price will be in the $5-$20 per user per month range and $50,000-$200,000 per community per year range.
Can users trial a Jive App?
Yes, every Jive App will have a mandatory 30 day free trial period. After the user enters their credit card, the first 30 days are free during which they can cancel any time without incurring any expense. Once the 30 days expires, if the user has not cancelled the trial subscription the regular monthly billing cycle continues.
Can users buy Jive Apps for others?
Yes. There are two ways this can happen.
- The customer admin can purchase a community subscription that will provide access for each and every user. This purchase method is available today.
- Any user can buy multiple app seats at once and distribute them to others. For example, if a manager wanted to buy access to Gliffy for her team she could buy 10 seats at once, on her credit card, and distribute them. This purchase method is expected to be available in early Q3 2012.
How are users and companies billed?
Users will be required to provide a valid credit card, and will be billed on that credit card monthly. For community subscription purchases, admins will have the option of digital PO purchases.
What do app partners need to do with regards to billing?
As a Jive apps partner there is not a lot required from a billing standpoint; Jive handles the billing process on your behalf. Free 30 day trials, for example, are managed 100% by Jive. There is nothing you need to do to facilitate that process.
There may, however, be a couple of things you need to do to get started:
- First, if you have an existing billing process as part of your applicaiton you will need to elimiate it from your Jive Apps user workflow. You will have no need to prompt users for any billing details whatsoever.
- Second, if you have an existing user provisioning model as part of your applicaiton you will need to integrate that provisioning process with Jive's user management. Jive will ensure that each and every user you see is ready to be billed or otherwise has rights to use the applicaiton; you need to ensure that the user is provisioned appropriately.
The Jive team is happy to work with you direclty as you tackle any billing or provisioning work.
Listing An App For Sale
How do I list a Jive App for sale?
In order for an App to be listed in the Jive Apps Market it will need to be submitted through the Jive Apps Dev Center and vetted by Jive. Jive has the sole power to make a Jive App available via the Jive Apps Market. Published guidelines for what Jive looks for in this approval process are forthcoming.
What is required to submit an app?
Each Jive App listed in the Jive Apps Market must have several key pieces of information:
- Pricing information: Jive Apps can either be free or paid. If paid, the Jive App should be available for purchase both on a per user per month basis and on a per community per year basis. Jive is happy to provide any pricing guidance you may need to make this decision. Additionally, all prices must be denominated in USD.
- Support information: Jive Apps Partners are expected to support buyers of their application and are required to provide either a support email address, or a link to a support community for customers in case of any questions about the app.
- Listing data: Each Jive App must have an icon, screenshot, blurb, detailed description, and highlights in order to be listed in the Market. For more detailed information see "How to Submit and Update Your App".
- Corporate information: In order to make sure you can be properly paid for any app purchases Jive needs a valid company name, billing address, and primary contact details for each Apps Partner Account. We will vet this information prior to listing your application.
How do I change the price of my live app?
App partners will have the opportunity to change prices once per quarter -- in the future we will be releasing at will price change functionality.
Depending on the price change, this will result in one of two scenarios:
- Price decrease: If the app price decreases all users will be switched to the new lower price at the next renewal period. This will occur either at the end of the month for monthly purchases, or at the end of the term for for community-wide purchases.
- Price increase: If the app price increases all new users will buy at the new, higher price. Existing users will be grandfathered in at their existing, old price. For monthly purchases users will be grandfathered in indefinitely until the subscription is cancelled. For community-wide purchases the new, higher price will be in effect at the end of the term.
Today this will be a manual process. Please contact Jive if you would like to make a price change.
Does Jive take a percentage of the Jive App purchase?
Yes, all Jive Apps will be subject to a revenue sharing agreement. In this agreement the Apps Partner earns 75% of the revenue while Jive keeps 25%.
How do Apps Partners get paid?
Jive Apps Partners are paid quarterly either via check or wire transfer.
How do I know how much we will be paid?
Jive will provide detailed subscription and adoption metrics to Apps Partners.
What if we want to keep track of adoption ourselves?
Apps Partners are encouraged to author their app provisioning such that they may keep an eye on user adoption. Details on how this may be implemented can be found in the Jive Developer Community.
What if there is a discrepancy between what we have been paid and what we were expecting?
Any discrepancies will be fully investigated by the Jive Apps Market team and if appropriate any additional payments to Apps Partners will be promptly processed. If you have a concern please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How are we paid for community subscriptions?
Community subscriptions sold through the Jive Apps Market are paid upfront for an entire year, or the end of the customer's Jive contract, whichever comes first. After the 30 day free trial period payment is collected by Jive and partners will be paid in full for the purchase at the next quarterly payment date. To take one hypothetical example: a customer purchases a community license for an app for $10,000 on August 1st, the free trial period will end on August 30th, and the partner will receive a credit of $10,000 paid in full on September 30th, net 30.
What happens if a community subscription is terminated after the 30 day trial period?
After the initial 30 day free trial period, customers are locked in for the entire subsequent period and do not have the ability to cancel their contract unless there is some violation of terms. If for some reason a violation of terms does occur, Jive will refund the customer per discussion with the customer and the partner and debit the partner's future earnings in the Jive Apps Market. In other words if there is a cancellation of this type Jive will not require that you cut a check immediately and instead will reconcile over the ensuing months.
Selling And Marketing Jive Apps
Will we be able to promote our Jive App?
Yes. Apps Partners are encouraged to promote their Jive App and Jive is happy to work with you directly on how best to promote your application
Will the Jive sales reps be selling my application?
Jive has built an industry leading direct enterprise sales team focused on the needs of our customers. This team will be selling the most appropriate Jive Apps alongside the Jive 5 platform.
Will we be able to include Jive Apps customers in our promotional material?
Jive Apps Partners must obtain prior written consent from Jive and from the customer before including customer logos, names, or other identifying information in their published sales and marketing material.